Sunday, January 11, 2015

TOP 5 // fictional crushes

Let's face it: we have all come face-to-face with the love of our life, allowing him to sweep us off our feet, whisper words that carry meaning into our ears, and leaving us with hints of mystery. We let ourselves get to know him, talk with him, dream about him, and fall madly in love with him. But then the unthinkable happens. 

        We come to discover that our handsome charmer is none other than a fictional character.

We've all had our share of heartbreak, and we have all had to deal with the reality that Mr. Darcy just doesn't exist. It's a hard realization, and sometimes I wish it weren't necessary. However, I've come up with a list of my top five fictional crushes (in no particular order) that I'd marry in a heartbeat (if they weren't, you know, fictional and all that jazz), and I'd love to hear yours!
                                                                                        
                                                                                            /////////////////

 Is it really a surprise to anyone that Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice is on this list? I think every girl secretly hopes a Fitzwilliam Darcy would come in and rescue her from a dreary life of Mr. Collins, but alas, even if Mr. Darcy were to be real, that kind of class and character would have to be left in the early 1800's. I think, out of all that have made it onto the list, I'd relate more with Mr. Darcy than any of them. He's awkward, doesn't know what to do in social situations, often can be mistaken as rude or arrogant (when really he is trying his best to appear interested), and overall is very quiet in his demeanor, yet witty when he has to be. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to marry someone like Mr. Darcy because we might be too much alike, come to think of it.



///////////

I've always loved the Phantom. I couldn't seem to understand why Christine would want to go off frolicking around with Raoul, especially since he had just now popped back into her life after years and years of never seeing her. The fact that they never had a decent conversation about dreams and plans and even their favorite color seems to turn me away from encouraging that relationship. Sure, the Phantom was sometimes incredibly frightening when you ripped his mask off without warning, but wouldn't everyone? In all seriousness, I think I might feel more pity for him than anything. He lived his entire life without a single friend, being forced to live in the attics of an opera house (and before that an event at the freak show circus) because of his hideous face. No one wanted to take the time to get to know him, and he grew bitter. In the end, he pretty much drove himself crazy.



                                                                   ///////////

I'm not typically the type to go for bad boys, like, at all. I am drawn to the quiet and nice types (like Mr. Darcy!) so this was a shock. I find Draco Malfoy's character to be incredibly sad, and this might be another pity person for me. His whole life he was raised to think of himself as better than anyone else for being a pure-blood, but I feel like deep down he wouldn't be doing any of the scheming things he did throughout childhood if it weren't for the constant nagging of his father, Lucius. I haven't finished reading the books as of yet (I just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), so I can't really make an judgements unless they are based on the movies.
Draco was also played by Tom Felton, so this might have a huge teeny tiny part in Draco making the list.


//////////////

What girl didn't have a crush on Gilbert Blythe? He's handsome, says adorable things like "Your friendship can't satisfy me, Anne. I want your love.", and is incredibly smart. His constant picking on Anne was adorable, you have to admit (although I nearly cheered in my seat when Anne hit him over the head with her slate), and he grew up to be quite the gentleman and doctor when he got older. He and Anne definitely make the perfect pair, and I could never imagine him with anyone else. I haven't read any of the books yet (I plan on reading them soon), but I hear everything is far better in the books, so I can't wait to dive into Gilbert and Anne's relationship!
                                                                ///////////////

I read The Inheritance Cycle when I was 16, and maybe it was Christopher Paolini's amazing writing skill, or maybe it was just true love, but I fell head-over-heels in love with Eragon. I have to admit that in the first two books I was quite annoyed at some of the things he did (like when Arya rejected him and he immediately burst into tears), but he was supposed to be younger and less mature, so I'll let that slide. But in the later books when he was thinking for himself and no longer considering himself to be a lowly farm boy is when I think I liked him best. He was so caring towards Saphira, and he pursued Arya relentlessly, and those two things alone made up for the irritating parts of him.





{all photos via pinterest}

2 comments:

  1. GIL BLYTHE. All the way! Love him <3 But you're right. Who doesn't love a sensitive guy with sweet phrases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Gilbert Blythe is pretty spectacular. :)

      Delete