Friday, January 9, 2015

REVIEW // harry potter and the sorcerer's stone

Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: Fantasy
Released: 1997

Till now there's been no magic for Harry Potter. He lives with the miserable Dursleys and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny closet beneath the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But then a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And there he finds not only friends, flying sports on broomsticks, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter. 


DISCLOSURE: For years I was never allowed to even watch the Harry Potter movies. My dad, who is a huge fantasy lover, always said it was alright and that it would be a good teaching moment, but my mom was wary in letting her children watch something like that (with good reasons that I respect her for). It wasn't until I was 16 that I finally was allowed to sit down and watch the movies, and at 17 I am just now reading the books. I would only recommend this series if you are grounded in your faith and can enjoy the story without taking it to heart in an evil sense. I, personally, am able to just read it and search for the Truth of God that is in everything, and then leave it at that. If you stumble in this area, I do not advise you to pick up this series. You must be able to distinguish between reality and fiction.

But, if you are like me and can distinguish it, it is such a good story with so much truth. God's presence is in everything (and I mean everything), even if it was not created by a Christian. One of the things my writing instructor has said in his curriculum that covers the basics on writing fantasy is that "... To avoid any stories that challenge my beliefs is tantamount to an admission that my worldview is weak, that it cannot handle reality. Furthermore, it robs me of the opportunity to see Truth assert itself over lies that are as old and as tired as civilization."

T H E   G O O D
This story was so innocent, with a clear definition of good and evil. J. K. Rowling is such a phenomenal writer, and honestly, my favorite part of the book was just reading the names of different people such as "Dudley", or "Flitwick". I hurt for Harry when he was with the Dursleys, and even after he came to Hogwarts and was tormented by Draco Malfoy (although I secretly am in love have a tiny crush on Tom Felton). 

Ron and Hermione were such a perfect bunch for Harry, although Hermione wasn't really apart of their friend group until closer towards the end of the book (I'm thinking it was once Harry and Ron stopped the troll in the bathrooms?). I loved their innocence, and I can definitely relate more towards Hermione than anyone (or Neville, if you want to take into account my extreme clumsiness). 

Overall, it's a beautifully written tale.
T H E   B A D
Quite plain and simple, it's a story about children learning witchcraft and wizardry (although it is not the type of witchcraft that is present in this world). I would advise anyone who has a harder time distinguishing between fiction and reality from reading this series.

One a literature standpoint, I was annoyed at how Harry could not seem to control some of his anger, or how he and Ron got into a stupid little tussle over the Mirror of Erised, but I think having flaws is what makes a hero relatable and not like a piece of cardboard, so if that was the only thing in the novel that was annoying, J. K. Rowling definitely did a good job.

There was one use of the word da** in the novel (near the beginning, and said by Uncle Vernon if I am correct). I don't like swear words in books at all, so I was not happy with this.

O V E R A L L   S T A R   R A T I N G 
5/5 stars

J. K. Rowling is the author of the beloved, bestselling, record-breaking Harry Potter series. She started writing the series during a delayed Manchester to London King's Cross train journey, and during the next five years, outlined the plots for each book and began writing the first novel. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was published in the United States by Arthur A. Levine Books in 1998, and series concluded nearly ten years later with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, published in 2007. 

J. K. Rowling is the recipient of numerous awards and honorary degrees, including OBE for services to children's literature, France's Légion d'honneur, and the Hans Christian Andersen Literature Award. She supports a wide number of causes through her charitable trust, Volant, and is the founder of Lumos, a charity working to transform the lives of disadvantaged children. 

J. K. Rowling lives in Edinburgh with her husband and three children.

AMAZON | WEBSITE | GOODREADS | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

READ MY REVIEW ON HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment